California State Policy Fellows
Bringing Teacher Voice to the CA State Capitol
The California State Teaching Policy Fellowship is an exciting opportunity for outstanding public school teachers looking to deepen their knowledge of education policy to gain a voice in decisions that directly affect students and the teaching profession. The year-long Fellowship trains teachers to engage with state legislators and advocate for change around key issues.
Teach Plus and Teach Plus teacher leaders played an integral role in the crafting and introduction of a bill that, for the first time in many years, substantively addressed tenure, layoff, dismissal, and evaluation statutes in California. Teach Plus teachers have built a strong, sustained presence in statewide policy making focused on a strategically chosen group of legislators.
Our Fellows have brought a powerful teacher voice to Sacramento. In 2016 alone:
- Fellows held 75 meetings with legislative offices
- 15 California legislators met directly with Fellows
- 5 Fellows gave testimony at the Senate Education Committee hearing
The Fellowship Experience
The California State Teaching Policy Fellowship kicks off with an in-person meeting, followed by monthly virtual training and strategy meetings. Each session is comprised of a policy training module presented by an expert in the field. Topics include:
- Education policy as a lever for student success
- Advocacy, including op-ed writing, testifying, and speaking with elected officials and members of the media
- Current and relevant issues in education policy
About our Fellows