Teacher Leader Application
Are you an experienced, effective teacher interested in leading your peers through in-person inquiry and collaboration? Interested in facilitating an ongoing professional learning network during the 2017-2018 school year?
What are Teacher-Led Practice Networks?
The Teacher-Led Practice Network (TLPN) is a series of teacher-led, collaborative networks designed to support implementation of the ELA Expeditionary Learning curriculum, standards, instructional strategies, and best practices in order to promote student learning and achievement for all students in Boston Public Schools.
We are seeking outstanding BPS ELA teachers to lead grade-level problem of practice networks over the course of the 2017-18 school year, starting in November:
- Grade 3 Expeditionary Learning Teacher-Led Practice Network
- Grade 4 Expeditionary Learning Teacher-Led Practice Network
- Grade 5 Expeditionary Learning Teacher-Led Practice Network
- Grade 6 Expeditionary Learning Teacher-Led Practice Network
- Grade 7 Expeditionary Learning Teacher-Led Practice Network
- Grade 8 Expeditionary Learning Teacher-Led Practice Network
- Grade 9-12 ELA Teacher-Led Practice Network
Teacher Leaders receive:
- 14 hours of training on professional learning design principles, skillful facilitation of adult learning, the problem solving cycle, and collaborative calibration tools and rubrics
- Ongoing written feedback, two individual coaching sessions, two collaborative cohort sessions, and observation and feedback on session facilitation
- Receive a $1,950 stipend
- Designated as UMass adjunct professor
As a Teacher Leader, you will:
- Design and lead collaborative learning sessions for teacher participants
- Collaborate with your peers leading Teacher-Led Practice Networks throughout the district
- Share your expertise with teachers nationwide through online and media outlets such as op-eds, blogs, and social media posts
A typical session has the following structure:
- Teacher leader leads the network of teachers in setting an instructional practice goal within a common practice area.
- Teacher leader facilitates sharing of content and skills, highlighting aligned resources based on the networks’ needs.
- Participating teachers collaborate in applying acquired skills and resources to plan instruction, calibrate plans for instruction, and work through implementation problems of practice.
- Finalize a commitment/plan for implementation from session to session and work to make observable changes in classroom practice.
Each session will result in new or improved standards-aligned practices and lessons for participants to test in their classrooms before the next monthly session.
Teach Plus selects Teacher Leaders based on their knowledge of standards, student data, instructional strategies, and interest in leading adult learning.
Part 1- Online application
Part 2- Performance task
Part 3 - Final in-person interview
Application and Series Timeline
Application Deadline: Thursday, September 21 at midnight
Interviews: Monday, September 25
Facilitator Training: Saturday, September 30 from 9:00am-3:00pm, Thursday, October 5 from 4:30pm - 7:30pm, and Wednesday, October 25 from 4:30pm - 7:30pm
Course Offerings: Courses will be held within Boston Public Schools.
Please contact Sasha Zuflacht at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.