Empowering local teachers as advocates on behalf of educators and students
What is the Indianapolis Teaching Policy Fellowship?
- A highly selective leadership opportunity for outstanding Indianapolis teachers looking to deepen their knowledge of education policy and gain a voice in decisions that affect students and the teaching profession.
- Fellows expand their influence without leaving the classroom, starting in August 2017 and concluding in July 2018.
- Monthly training sessions, in-person and online
- Fellows receive training through expert-led modules and direct engagement with key stakeholders.
- No prior policy experience required.
- Fellows receive a $1,600 stipend for their commitment.
What do we do?
Teach Plus trains teachers in: understanding education policy as a lever for student success, community organizing, writing op-eds and speaking to the media, providing public testimony, and more. Teach Plus works to create and connect teachers to opportunities to lead in real ways at the policy level while maintaining their essential role in the classroom.
How does it work?
Teach Plus recruits and selects Indianapolis Teaching Policy Fellows from across the city to participate in the cohort experience. You will become part of a larger movement of teacher leadership and help mobilize your peers around top issues impacting the teaching profession in Indianapolis. Teach Plus works with key stakeholders and policymakers to join the conversation.
Teach Plus Policy Fellows have:
- Met with President Barack Obama in the Oval Office
- Advocated for their students on Capitol Hill and at the State Capitol with the legislature
- Discussed policy topics with Former Secretaries of Education Arne Duncan and John King
- Testified before Congress concerning Education and the Workforce
- Been published in Education Week, the Indianapolis Star, The Huffington Post, and The Washington Times, and have appeared on PBS Television and National Public Radio
- I am a current teacher of record with at least two full years of teaching experience by August 2017
- I have a track record of success teaching students in Indiana
- I am ready to dedicate my time and passion to learning about policy and advocating on behalf of my students
- DEADLINE EXTENDED - Sunday, April 30 by 11:59pm
- May 9th - 23rd: Candidate Interviews
- May 26th: Candidates Notified of Final Decisions
- June 23rd - 25th: Fellowship Kickoff
- Hold these dates
- Mid - July: Summer Happy Hour
Click here to nominate a teacher!