(Geo-Flexible; Boston or Chicago, preferred)
I. Overview of Teach Plus
Mission. The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that affect their students’ success.
Programs. Teach Plus programs are designed to place highly effective teachers at the center of improvements in schools as leaders of their peers and outside schools influencing policy decisions that affect their classrooms. The programs develop excellent teachers into leaders who achieve change and mobilize others in their school, district, state, and across the nation to bring change to scale.
Impact. Teach Plus ensures that effective teachers have influence beyond their classrooms as:
- a key voice in legislation in local, district, state, and federal policy
- change agents in transforming student learning across a school
- leaders of other teachers in improving practice
- a grounded perspective in the media and on research
II. Position Responsibilities
The National Director of Evaluation is responsible for setting the vision for the collection, tracking, and reporting of all relevant program data used to measure Teach Plus’ impact, including both qualitative and quantitative data. S/he will support teams across the organization in setting program metrics based on Board goals, funder requirements, and program needs. S/he is responsible for setting the vision on effective practices and tools for collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data to drive student achievement and improve programmatic outcomes.
Under the direction of the VP of Programs, the National Director of Evaluation will work closely with regional team members to ensure they have the necessary tools and knowledge to monitor progress towards their goals. The National Director of Evaluation is responsible for ensuring all internal evaluation data deadlines are met and supporting the development of a culture that uses data to inform decision making. S/he works across the Program Team and with the Technology and Operations Coordinator to continually improve the ability of Teach Plus to track and report on our impact. The National Director of Evaluation will have two direct reports, the National Data and Evaluation Coordinator and the Senior National Technology and Operations Coordinator, who will work to execute the evaluation vision for the organization.
Working collaboratively with staff, this role provides an exciting opportunity for someone with a deep background in research and evaluation and a demonstrated commitment to improving public education to contribute to the growth and success of Teach Plus.
Data and Evaluation Framework, Vision, and Strategy
Define Teach Plus’ program data and its collection and evaluation cycle
- Set relevant program metrics as defined by Teach Plus board goals, national goals, and regional goals in collaboration with teams across Teach Plus
- Establish vision for and communicate procedures for collecting and auditing program data at the national and regional level
- Set Teach Plus’ programmatic evaluation cycle to ensure alignment with national evaluation cycles
- Define mechanisms and implementation for program data collection
- Develop and share tools and systems that support the regular use of data for monitoring and improving program quality
- Create the evaluation metrics and outcomes for grant and new business proposals
- Lead the process of collaboration with external evaluators and partners, such as school districts, including writing research proposals and requirements
- Lead further development of methods of measuring changes in teacher practice as a result of our programs
Analyze and share program data
- Establish vision for and lead formal debrief processes for Teach Plus programming
- Collaborate with relevant national and regional teams, including senior-level staff, to develop data-driven program recommendations, including promising practices and current challenges, to report and present program results to internal and external audiences
- Publish findings in report form that are designed to inform the organization’s strategic initiatives
- Lead short-cycle research projects to answer important organizational questions and/or that are of particular interest to the Senior Staff team and board
Team Leadership and Capacity Building
- Manage the National Data and Evaluation Coordinator and the Senior National Technology and Operations Coordinator, supporting and developing their potential
- Through the National Data and Evaluation Coordinator, ensure that data is being collected accurately, analyzed, and reported appropriately, and that staff receive support and training on processes and systems used for data collection, tracking, and reporting
- Through the National Senior Technology and Operations Coordinator, oversee Teach Plus’ centralized evaluation database (i.e. Salesforce) to ensure cohesive, high quality data collection, and analysis
- Identify and submit proposals to National Conference opportunities, in order to share impact of Teach Plus programming
- Partner with the design and communications team to ensure that accurate and compelling data is integrated into marketing collateral and key communications messages
- Develops relationships and collaborates where possible with other organizations and external data collection agencies to learn best practices, assure access and links with other data systems
In order to be successful in this role, ideal candidates should have:
- Master’s degree or PhD and a minimum of four year’s relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience working with large quantitative and qualitative datasets, and working knowledge of quantitative and qualitative analysis methods and software (i.e., SPSS, SAS, Atlas.ti, etc.)
- Experience in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with a strong focus on metrics and data-driven decision making, preferably in a not for profit organization
- Deep creativity and an ability to use data to uncover potential opportunities for growth and innovation
- Excellent strategic thinking skills, with the ability to operationalize concepts and transform ideas into action, as well as apply research findings to ongoing program development
- Ability to analyze information, summarize findings, and present them in ways easily understandable to decision-makers
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate and effectively interact with all stakeholders
- Experience supporting and training staff that are unfamiliar with research and evaluations, to collect, manage and analyze data
- A passionate commitment to improving public education by retaining and supporting outstanding teachers in urban schools
- Experience in measuring changes in teacher practice is desirable
IV. Commitment to Diversity
In order to better-serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
V. Compensation and Benefits
Salary is competitive and will be based on prior experience and qualifications. Full benefits package includes medical, dental, retirement, disability, life insurance, and generous paid time off benefits.
VI. How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found here. The online application will require you to upload a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should include an explanation of your interest in the position as well as a summary of relevant qualifications and experience. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application Link: https://www.tfaforms.com/4639863
Teach Plus is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex or natural origin.