Leveraging the expertise of exceptional teachers in Common Core implementation to improve teacher effectiveness and student achievement
Through TLPL, California teachers collaboratively learn from each other about the effective implementation of their state standards. We train teacher leaders to lead a group of their peers in improving their knowledge of the standards, and instructional strategies and practices.
In California, we recruit, select, and train teachers through two TLPL programs: Teacher-Led Practice Networks, and STEM Teacher-Led Professional Learning
- TLPN is based on the premise that formal networks within schools for collaboration significantly improve student outcomes and that these networks are strongest when led by teacher leaders.
- In 2017-18, Teach Plus TLPN includes 23 teacher leaders from 10 schools across Los Angeles. We train the most effective teacher leaders in a school to lead their colleagues in professional learning to improve instructional practices through a collaborative, inquiry-based problem solving process.
- Teach Plus teacher leaders lead professional learning courses that include both in-person and virtual components.
Lincoln High School
Russell Elementary School
Synergy Kinetic Academy
Camino Nuevo Charter Academy High School
Dr. Julian Nava Learning Academy
Lucille Roybal-Allard Elementary School
Synergy Charter Academy
Huntington Park Institute of Applied Medicine
Nava College Preparatory Academy
Paul Revere Charter Middle School
What is STEM Teacher-Led Professional Learning?
- Through STEM TLPL, we’re building a sustainable professional development model to meet the demands of STEM professional learning.
- We’ve partnered with USC Viterbi School of Engineering’s STEM Educational Outreach Programs to increase the STEM instructional capacity of K-12 teachers in Los Angeles. We’ve launched our pilot program in collaboration with USC’s MESA program (Mathematics-Engineering-Science-Achievement) to design and facilitate effective STEM professional learning.