Training teachers as advocates to ensure that teachers and students thrive in Texas
You are invited to apply for the Teach Plus Texas Policy Fellowship, a highly selective leadership opportunity for outstanding Texas teachers looking to deepen your knowledge of education policy and gain a voice in decisions that affect your students and the teaching profession.
What is the Teach Plus Texas Policy Fellowship?
- Fellows expand your influence without leaving the classroom, starting in May 2017 and concluding in May 2018.
- Two in-person training sessions in Austin, monthly online meetings, and smaller, issues-focused working groups.
- Fellows receive training through expert-led modules and direct engagement with key stakeholders. No prior policy experience required.
- Fellows receive a $1,500 stipend for your commitment.
What do you do?
You receive training from Teach Plus in: understanding education policy as a lever for student success, community organizing, writing op-eds and speaking to the media, providing public testimony, and more. Teach Plus connects you with policy makers and opportunities to propose policy solutions, testify, write op-eds, and meet with decision-makers at the local and state levels.
How does it work?
Teach Plus recruits and selects Teach Plus Texas Policy Fellows from across the state to participate in the cohort experience. You will become part of a larger movement of teacher leadership and help mobilize your peers around top issues impacting the teaching profession in Texas. You will work in groups with fellow teachers to advocate on behalf of your students.
Teach Plus teachers have:
- Met with Texas legislators and staff, spoken at hearings, and proposed policy solutions to the Texas Education Agency.
- Met with President Barack Obama in the Oval Office.
- Joined Secretaries of Education as part of the U.S. Department of Education’s official delegation to the International Summit on the Teaching Profession.
- Been published in the Texas Tribune, Education Week, the Indianapolis Star, the Memphis Commercial Appeal, and the Chicago Tribune, and have been interviewed on television and radio.
Teach Plus seeks a cohort of teachers who reflect the cultural, linguistic, and geographic diversity of our state. Apply if you:
- Are a current teacher of record (PK-12) with at least three full years of teaching experience by May 2017.
- Have a track record of success teaching students in Texas.
- Are ready to dedicate your time and energy to learning about policy and advocating on behalf of changes that impact your students -- while continuing to teach full time.
- Have a passion for sharing the diverse perspectives and experiences of students and teachers across the state with policy makers.