(Geo-Flexible; Dallas or Houston, TX, preferred)
I. Overview of Teach Plus
Mission. The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that affect their students’ success.
Programs. Teach Plus programs are designed to place highly effective teachers at the center of improvements in schools as leaders of their peers and outside schools influencing policy decisions that affect their classrooms. The programs develop excellent teachers into leaders who achieve change and mobilize others in their school, district, state, and across the nation to bring change to scale.
Impact. Teach Plus ensures that effective teachers have influence beyond their classrooms as:
- a key voice in legislation in local, district, state, and federal policy
- change agents in transforming student learning across a school
- leaders of other teachers in improving practice
- a grounded perspective in the media and on research
II. Position Responsibilities
Reporting jointly to the National Director of State Policy, Advocacy and Partnerships and the Texas Executive Director, the State Program Coordinator will support teacher-directed communications and provide management and operations support to the following programs in Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, and new regions: State Fellowships, Teacher-Led Professional Learning (TLPL) work, and other customized policy and instructional practice work. The role will include opportunities for professional growth in education policy and non-profit management.
Primary responsibilities will include:
Recruitment and Selection of Program Participants
- Create and execute State Fellowship recruitment plans to expand the reach of the fellowships
- Support state-wide recruitment of highly-effective teachers
- Support recruitment and selection of Teacher Leaders for various Teacher-Led Professional Learning programs
- Engage and recruit teacher participants for TLPL
State Fellow Working Group Coordination, Research, and Fellowship Support
- Support work of the State Fellowships, through analysis of legislative activity, facilitation of in-person and virtual meetings, preparation of material
- Support ongoing Teaching Policy Fellows working group with research inputs, products and timeline
- Assist in fact-checking data, acting as a thought partner on various projects, and providing general support as needed on publications
- Run logistics for State Fellows sessions (including managing virtual meeting logistics)
- Support planning and coordination of Teacher-Led Professional Learning sessions, including logistics, space, materials, etc.
- Develop message for marketing materials and advertise the Core Collaborative Teacher Facilitator opportunity to high potential teachers
- Support the Teacher-Led Professional Learning Teacher Facilitator selection process
- Support Teacher Leadership Coaches in scheduling or logistical needs
Data Management and Analytics
- Maintain accurate and timely data and enter appropriate information into the Salesforce database for ongoing accountability reports.
- Maintain accurate data about teacher participants, including contact information, activity participation, etc.
- Use data to meaningfully inform policy and practice programs and make decisions
Communications, Outreach, and Events Management
- Use social media to keep local teachers informed about key educational issues and to promote Teach Plus
- Identify opportunities for teacher leadership and publicize them through a monthly Teacher Leadership Email and social media outreach
- Publicize events and programs
- Create Partner and Newsletters on behalf of the Executive Directors
- Review major publications covering education policy and drafting posts highlighting key articles for the @teachplusCO, @teachplusTX, and @teachplusNM Twitter handles
- Create PowerPoint presentations, handouts and other relevant materials to support events
- Coordinate logistics for events and retreats, including site research, vendor research, and ordering necessary food and supplies
- Support the daily needs of sites that have developed many important external partnerships, including scheduling meetings and responding to direct requests for information.
- Provide meeting support as needed, e.g. preparing materials, logistics
In order to be successful in this role, ideal candidates should have:
- An understanding of the national discussion about how best to attract, engage, and retain effective teachers, and other policy issues related to ensuring that every student has access to an excellent education
- Familiarity with the education landscape and current issues facing teachers
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong project management skills and the initiative to complete tasks independently
- Comfort working in an entrepreneurial environment and the willingness to contribute as needed to a growing organization
- Experience with innovative programs with a focus on quality and results
- Ability to navigate the complexities of a variety of political environments
- A results-oriented, goal-driven, teamwork approach to work
- A passionate commitment to improving public education by retaining and supporting outstanding teachers in under-resourced schools.
- Classroom teaching experience preferred.
IV. Commitment to Diversity
In order to better-serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
V. Compensation and Benefits
Salary is competitive and will be based on prior experience and qualifications. Full benefits package includes medical, dental, retirement, disability, life insurance and generous paid time off benefits.
VI. How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found here. The online application will require you to upload a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should include an explanation of your interest in the position as well as a summary of relevant qualifications and experience. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application Link: https://www.tfaforms.com/4634241
Teach Plus is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex or natural origin.