Is there a problem in your school in supporting English learners or dual language learners? Would you like to take leadership and work with your peer teachers to solve that problem? Would you like to positively impact student learning, while receiving development as an educational leader, individual coaching support in tackling your school’s challenge, and connection to a network of other dynamic teacher leaders, all without having to leave the classroom? Through the Change Agent program, Teach Plus recruits, selects, trains, and supports outstanding Teacher Leaders to lead a school-based effort to address a problem of practice that affects emergent bilingual students in their school.
What is Change Agent?
Teach Plus recruits and selects Teacher Leaders who demonstrate effectiveness in their classroom and proficiency in their content area as well as the potential to develop the skills necessary for effectively leading other teachers.
To apply to this program, a teacher and principal co-identify an issue within their school that affects teacher practice and student outcomes for emergent bilingual students.
Once selected, this teacher becomes a Teach Plus teacher leader (TL), joining the Change Agent cohort with TLs from other selected schools. Teach Plus will support the Change Agent TL in tackling their problem throughout the school year, in the following ways:
- Leadership Training - Kicking off in January 2021, we’ll host a teacher leadership training session, helping TLs create SMART goals and action plans to address the issue that they'd like to change in their respective schools.
- Monthly Coaching - Monthly during the school year, Teach Plus provides regular coaching sessions and cohort meetings to support TLs in their growth as educational leaders throughout the implementation of their action plans.
- Stipend - In recognition of their time and effort, Teach Plus will also award all participating Teacher Leaders a $2,000 stipend.
At this moment, we are targeting Teacher Leaders from California schools with a student population that includes a high number or high percentage of English learners. If your school fits these requirements, we welcome a teacher (with the support of his/her principal) to apply to the Change Agent program!
As a Change Agent, you will:
- Work with your principal to identify a high-leverage problem that address the unique needs of your emergent bilingual students, which you will address with a team of teachers throughout the school year;
- Attend a network training in January to develop your SMART goals and action plan. An administrator with access to data and decision-making power must attend with you (Principals strongly encouraged);
- Work independently and collaboratively each month with Teach Plus coaches and the Change Agent network to discuss, analyze data, reflect, and revise action plans. Cohort meetings will last 2-3 hours and occur once a month virtually;
- Celebrate your progress at an end-of-year showcase with other Teacher Leaders, principals, district staff, and the philanthropic community.
All applicants must be current classroom teachers with a minimum of two years of teaching experience in a California school with a student population with a high number or percentage of English learners. Applicants must demonstrate that they possess the critical skills and competencies required for effectively leading their peers.
Part 1- Online application
Part 2- Performance task & virtual interview
Part 3- Principal phone interview & reference check
Application and Series Timeline
Applications are currently being accepted on a rolling basis until Friday, December 4.
Please contact Sarah Lillis (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.