STEM TLPL: Teacher-Led Professional Learning
Are you interested in leading content-specific, ongoing professional development for other teachers? Do you want to spread your expertise to other educators, while getting the feedback and support to hone your own instructional skills? Through our TLPL Initiative and in partnership with USC Viterbi School of Engineering’s STEM Educational Outreach Programs, we will recruit, select, train, and support two outstanding Teacher Leaders to facilitate professional learning for their peers on key STEM topics that support student learning and achievement. Here are some professional learning topics of interest:
- Integrating Engineering into Science Classrooms (NGSS)
- Utilizing Inquiry-Based Learning as an Instructional Framework
- Applying Game Design and Coding into the Math/Science Curriculum
- How to ensure rigor in 21st century teaching and learning
- How to Teach Number Sense in a Science Context
What is TLPL?
Teach Plus recruits and selects Teacher Leaders who demonstrate effectiveness in their classroom and proficiency in their content, as well as the critical competencies required for effectively leading other teachers in professional learning on crucial educational topics. Course enrollment is open to foster collaboration between educators across Los Angeles.
Teacher Leaders receive training and ongoing coaching to build their skills in leading adult learners and to develop the course content to meet their peers’ needs, in addition to a $1,500 stipend.
As a TLPL Teacher Leader, your training supports you to:
- Hone Your Expert Skills: Participate in nine hours of training and discussions related to facilitating effective professional development to adult learners
- Collaborate: Review, analyze and discuss professional learning with fellow Teacher Leaders and determine additional resources, discussion protocols and skillful team facilitation
- Differentiate: Plan individual sessions related to state standards/grade level/content area in which you are an expert
As a TLPL Teacher Leader, once your course begins, you will:
- Facilitate four professional development sessions for a cohort of 10-20 teachers.
- Create immediate impact, providing hands-on activities for participants that result in concrete instructional strategies within standards-aligned units and lesson plans
- Work independently and collaboratively with Teach Plus coaches to discuss, plan, and revise cohort sessions based on feedback
Last year, 100% of our teachers in LA said that they would recommend the TLPL experience to a friend or colleague.
What participants say about TLPL:
“I would definitely recommend this course to my colleagues. I believe that this course has enhanced my teaching practices…[The instructor] made the content comprehensible and easy to learn. She was knowledgeable, engaging and a pleasure to to work with during this course.”
All applicants must be current classroom teachers in the Los Angeles area with a minimum of three years of teaching experience with standards-based instruction, as well as a track record of effectiveness in the classroom. Applicants must demonstrate that they possess the critical skills and competencies required for effectively leading collaborative learning sessions for teachers.
Teach Plus selects Teacher Leaders based on their knowledge of standards, student data, instructional strategies, and interest in leading adult learning.
Part 1- Online application
Part 2- Performance task & Final in-person interview
Application and Series Timeline
Application Deadline: Friday, June 8
Interviews: Wednesday, June 13
Facilitator Training: Wednesday, June 27 and Thursday, June 28
Course Offerings: All courses and sessions take place at USC
Tuesday, July 31st (8:30 - 2:00)
Wednesday, August 1st (8:30 - 2:00)
September Meeting (2.5 hours) Date, TBD
October Meeting (2.5 hours) Date, TBD
Please contact Sunny Min (email@example.com) with any questions.