Is there a problem in your school that you want to take leadership on and work with your peer teachers to solve? Would you like to positively impact school culture, while getting development as an educational leader, individual coaching support in tackling your school’s challenge, and connection to a network of other dynamic teacher leaders, all without having to leave the classroom? Through the Change Agent program, Teach Plus recruits, selects, trains, and supports outstanding Teacher Leaders to lead a school-based effort to address a problem of practice that affects students across their school.
What is Change Agent?
Teach Plus recruits and selects Teacher Leaders who demonstrate effectiveness in their classroom and proficiency in their content area as well as the potential to develop the skills necessary for effectively leading other teachers.
To apply to this program, a teacher and principal co-identify an issue within their school that affects teacher turnover and student outcomes in an academic area and aligns to the schoolwide priorities.
Once selected, this teacher becomes a Teach Plus teacher leader (TL), joining the Change Agent cohort with TLs from other selected schools. Teach Plus will support the Change Agent TL in tackling their problem throughout the school year, in the following ways:
- Leadership Training - Kicking off over the summer, we’ll host a teacher leadership training session, helping TLs create SMART goals and action plans to address the issue that they'd like to change in their respective schools.
- Monthly Coaching - Monthly during the school year, Teach Plus provides regular coaching sessions and cohort meetings to support TLs in their growth as educational leaders throughout the implementation of their action plans.
- Stipend - In recognition of their time and effort, Teach Plus will also award all participating Teacher Leaders a $2,000 stipend.
At this moment, we are targeting TLs from high achieving Los Angeles schools (both charter and district) with a student population of at least 75% free or reduced lunch. If your school fits these requirements, we welcome a teacher (with the support of his/her principal) to apply to the Change Agent program!
As a Change Agent, you will:
- Work with your principal to identify a high-leverage problem that aligns with schoolwide priorities, which you will address throughout the school year
- Attend a full-day kick-off training over the summer to develop your SMART goals and action plan. An administrator with access to data and decision-making power must attend with you (Principals are strongly encouraged).
- Work independently and collaboratively each month with Teach Plus coaches and the Change Agent cohort to discuss, analyze data, reflect, and revise action plans. Cohort meetings will last 2-3 hours and occur once a month (alternating between virtual and in person sessions).
- Celebrate your progress at an end-of-year showcase with other Teacher Leaders, principals, district staff, and the philanthropic community.
All applicants must be current classroom teachers with a minimum of two years of teaching experience in a Los Angeles school with a student population of at least 75% free or reduced lunch. Applicants must demonstrate that they possess the critical skills and competencies required for effectively leading their peers.
Part 1- Online application
Part 2- Performance task & virtual interview
Part 3--Principal phone interview & reference check
Application and Series Timeline
Application Deadline: Wednesday, April 17th, 2019 @ 11:59 pm
Teacher Leader Interviews (conducted in person or virtually): May 6th -17th
Principal Phone Interview & Reference Check: May 6 th-May 24th
Facilitator Training: exact date TBD, but will be at the beginning of the summer (potential dates we are considering are in the end of July or early August). We will have this date finalized before the interview phase.
Please contact Bridget Bones (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.