Registration Now Open for STEM Teacher Led Professional Learning!
You are invited to join a dynamic group of teachers through Teacher Led Professional Learning (TLPL) – a set of free teacher-led professional learning courses that connect you with fellow teachers from all over Los Angeles.
What is TLPL?
- Professional Learning Series consisting of 4 in-person sessions
- Content and grade level-specific support in aligning curriculum, developing lesson plans, and scaffolding Common Core skills
- Led by current STEM teachers with expertise in STEM standards-based instruction
- Immediate Impact: Sessions include hands-on strategies for you to participate in. At the end of the course, you will have Common Core aligned units and lesson plans that you can use immediately in your classroom.
- Collaboration: TLPL is teacher-created and teacher-facilitated. Collaborate with highly-motivated teachers to benefit the day-to day work in your classroom.
- Delivered by Experts: Facilitators will share what has revolutionized their classroom. It is entirely teacher driven by someone who understands your experience.
What course will you take?
Space is limited!
Course dates and times
All courses and sessions will take place at University of Southern California (USC) Viterbi School of Engineering.
Tuesday, July 31st, 8:30am - 2:00pm
Wednesday, August 1st, 8:30am - 2:00pm
Wednesday, September 12th, 4-6:30pm
Wednesday, October 10th, 4-6:30pm
Our two STEM TLPL courses will be around the following content areas:
- Apply the Math: Engineering and Computer Science Challenges for a Student-Centered Classroom (MS/HS Math and Engineering)
21st Century teaching and learning calls for student-centered activities that are relevant to students lives. How can we accomplish this? This course will offer participants the opportunity to develop their own blueprints for creating Engineering and Computer Science challenges that teach and enrich mathematics. We will cover ways to offer students the skills and resources they need to succeed in these challenges, and how to take on a facilitator role in order to maximize cognitive load and discourse on the part of the student. Plus: learn how you can reap the benefits of instructional videos and create your own class YouTube channel!
- Using Phenomena for NGSS Instruction (All Elementary grades)
Phenomena triggers student’s curiosity of the world around them, and provides a natural transition into the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). Participants will develop an understanding of their role in teaching NGSS by using phenomena to drive their science instruction. Participants will also brainstorm and select which phenomena to begin a unit of study and backward plan a series of lessons in a unit to guide students’ learning of Next Generation Science Standards.