I. Overview of Teach Plus
The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced, and diverse teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that affect their students’ success. The organization empowers expert teachers to advance policy changes and improve instructional leadership and teacher supports; trains and coaches teacher leaders to successfully mobilize and lead teacher teams; and empowers teacher leaders to be change agents among their peers and policy makers. Since 2009, Teach Plus has trained thousands of teacher leaders across the country who are driving policy changes and improving the instructional practices of teachers to create an education system driven by equity, access, and excellence for all students.
II. Position Responsibilities
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Finance Manager will lead the day-to-day accounting operations for the organization, with functional responsibility for accounting, accounts payable/receivable, payroll, and grants administration. The Finance Manager will provide financial analysis support to multiple sites and programs and will work collaboratively with staff to ensure integrity of accounting information and reporting.
Primary responsibilities include:
Financial and Accounting Management
- Process accounts payable/receivable, cash receipts, and cash disbursements
- Ensure accurate recording of transactions in the general ledger and make adjusting entries as needed
- Produce monthly financial statements including balance sheets, profit/loss statements, and transaction reports
- Prepare and post journal entries including monthly and yearly closing entries
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations
- Perform monthly ledger closing and reconcile ledger accounts
- Process payroll in collaboration with the National Director of Talent
- Assist in annual audit and preparation of tax forms (990’s, 1099’s)
- Prepare the payroll system to operate in new states and work in collaboration with ADP to ensure proper tax paperwork and filings
- Update and implement all necessary finance and accounting practices
- Oversee part-time accountant
Budget and Reporting
- Assist in the management of grants reporting, compliance, and reconciliation
- Prepare and present variance analysis of key metrics
- Assist with budget preparation for fundraising proposals
- Prepare monthly financial reports, funder reports, and other reports as needed
In order to be successful in this role, ideal candidates should have:
- At least 5 years’ experience in accounting, finance and/or financial planning and administration; nonprofit experience, a plus
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Prior experience supporting annual budgeting and forecast processes, a plus
- Working knowledge of GAAP accounting and financial principles
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with ability to work independently and effectively in a remote environment
- A passionate commitment to advancing equity and improving public education
IV. Commitment to Diversity
In order to better serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
V. Compensation and Benefits
The starting salary is $70,000 and will be commensurate with experience. Teach Plus offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 3% matching 401k plan, disability and life insurance, and Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and childcare expenses. Teach Plus also offers generous time off benefits including 15 vacation days, 3 personal days, 5 sick days, 12 holidays, and winter break, paid parental leave, and a 4-week paid sabbatical for every five years of service.
While this position will be conducted virtually (primarily from a home office), preference will be given to candidates who live in Boston, Philadelphia, or Washington, D.C.
VII. How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found here. The online application will require you to upload a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should include an explanation of your interest in the position as well as a summary of relevant qualifications and experience. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application Link: https://teachplus.tfaforms.net/328039