What is the Teach Plus Illinois Fellowship?
- A highly selective leadership opportunity for outstanding Illinois teachers looking to deepen their knowledge of education policy and gain a voice in decisions that affect students and the teaching profession.
- Fellows expand their influence without leaving the classroom, starting in June 2021 and concluding in June 2022.
- Monthly Fellows Sessions (virtually and tentatively in-person)
- Fellows receive training through expert-led modules and direct engagement with key stakeholders. No prior policy experience required.
- Fellows receive a $1,600 stipend for their commitment.
What do we do?
Teach Plus trains teachers in understanding education policy as a lever for student success, community organizing, writing op-eds and speaking to the media, providing public testimony, and more. Teach Plus works to create and connect teachers to opportunities to lead in real ways at the policy level.
How does it work?
Teach Plus recruits and selects Illinois Teaching Policy Fellows from across the state to participate in the cohort experience. You will become part of a larger movement of teacher leadership and help mobilize your peers around top issues impacting the teaching profession in Illinois. Teach Plus works with key stakeholders and policymakers to join the conversation.
Nationally and locally, Teach Plus Policy Fellows have:
- Met with President Barack Obama in the Oval Office
- Wrote, and advocated for, the passage of Illinois’ new Culturally Responsive Teaching and Leading Standards
- Advocated for Illinois’ historic education funding reform law by meeting with House Speaker Michael Madigan and 15 other lawmakers, organizing teachers throughout the state, and by holding a rally in Springfield.
- Spoken at conferences in Illinois including EduColor, ECET2, the Illinois New Teacher Conference, and the IEA Representative Assembly.
- Been published in US News & World Report, Education Week, the Chicago Tribune and Sun-Times, the Springfield Journal-Register, and on Chicago Tonight on WTTW.
Teach Plus seeks a cohort of teachers who reflect the cultural, linguistic, and geographic diversity of our state. Apply if you:
- Are a current teacher of record with at least two (2) full year of teaching experience by August 2021
- Have a track record of success teaching students in Illinois
- Are ready to dedicate your time and passion to learning about policy and advocating on behalf of changes that impact students across all
- Have a passion for sharing the diverse perspectives and experiences of students and teachers with policy makers
Part 1 – Written Application
The written application asks you to complete general demographic information, short responses and provide contact information for two professional references (letters of reference are not required.) Applications are due May 9th, 2021.
Part 2 – Interview
You will be notified if you have been invited to participate in an interview. Interviews will take place May 22-25th 2021, virtually.
Part 3 – Selection
You will be notified if you have been selected to join the Illinois Teaching Policy Fellowship. If accepted, you will commit to attending the virtual kick-off convening on: Monday, June 28, 2021 4-6pm, Wednesday, June 30, 2021 4-6pm and Wednesday, July 21, 2021 3-6pm. You will also have to plan to attend a tentatively scheduled in-person kickoff for August 21 and 22, 2021 and monthly sessions throughout the fellowship.
Click here to nominate a teacher!
Questions? Please contact Crystal Jameau at firstname.lastname@example.org for assitance.
Attend an Information Session to have your questions answered and hear from Teach Plus Illinois staff and Teaching Policy Fellowship alums.
Register for the Monday March 22nd Policy Joint Program Information Session Here 6pm
Register for the Tuesday April 6th Policy Fellowship Information Session Here 7pm
Register for the Tuesday April 20th Policy Fellowship Information Session Here 4pm