What is the Indiana Teacher Network?
Teach Plus Indiana is excited to expand our collaborative efforts with teachers who want to be active in educational policy. As an Indiana Network teacher, you will receive training on policy and advocacy, have an opportunity to advocate on behalf of your students, learn about teacher leadership opportunities and awards, and collaborate with other education champions from your region and throughout the state.
Through our Teacher Networks, Teach Plus engages with a community of educators to gather their input on key educational issues in their state and engage them in advocacy efforts to improve the teaching profession and outcomes for students. Network members gain access to Teach Plus training and learning sessions, inform policymakers, and engage in advocacy to increase equitable opportunities for students.
- Be a current or retired teacher in Indiana
- Participate in one Teach Plus activity such as: taking a poll/survey, giving written/verbal testimony, and/or attending a Teach Plus event
- Participate in regularly scheduled events and training
What do we do?
Teach Plus trains teachers in understanding education policy as a lever for student success, community organizing, leveraging their voices in both media and the legislature, and more. Teach Plus works to create opportunities for teachers to contribute to the discussions and action that directly impacts their profession at the policy level while maintaining their essential role as a classroom educator.
How does it work?
Teach Plus recruits and selects Indiana Network teachers from across the state to participate in the network experience. You will become part of a larger movement of teacher leadership, and help share your expertise with policymakers and mobilize your peers around top issues impacting the teaching profession in Indiana.
Opportunities as a Network Teacher
- Attend regularly scheduled high quality virtual (in-person as appropriate) training events on understanding educational policy, teacher leadership, etc.
- Talk with education decision makers
- Learn about teacher leadership opportunities and awards
- Stay up to date on Teach Plus Indiana’s research, recommendations, and advocacy work
- Attend Teach Plus events as available
- Learn about and stay updated on educational bills during the Legislative Session
Nationally and locally, Teach Plus Policy Fellows have:
- Met with district and state legislators to advocate for policies that benefit their students.
- In partnership with ISTA and Stand for Children, Fellows helped secure $1 million for the creation of teacher residencies across the state and $3.5 million to expand career ladders and distributed leadership in Indiana schools.
- Shaped state plans across the country for the Every Student Succeeds Act, including the statewide plan in Indiana.
- Been published or featured in Chalkbeat, the Huffington Post, the Indianapolis Business Journal, the Indianapolis Recorder, the Indianapolis Star, and Nuvo.
When nominating, choose Regional Teacher Network in the dropdown list