Our Why and What We Do
Teach Plus is a national nonprofit whose mission is to empower excellent, experienced, and diverse teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that advance equity, opportunity, and student access. The Teach Plus team exists to breathe life into the Student Opportunity Mandate: All students should have the opportunity to achieve their potential in an education system defined by its commitment to equity, responsiveness to individual needs, and ability to prepare students for postsecondary success. At the heart of our work is advocacy for collective impact, beginning with classroom teachers.
At Teach Plus, we believe in equity-driven teacher leadership. When we invest in developing our most talented teachers into teacher leaders who are well-informed, persuasive, and prepared to lead, they have deep leverage in advancing equity for students, especially for students of color, low-income students, and those from underserved communities. To close the opportunity gap and to ensure equitable access to a world-class education for all students in the schools and communities we serve, we ignite systems change at multiple levels through our Policy Fellowship and Instructional Leadership programs designed to inspire and equip teachers. We are committed to leading change in our Equity Focus Areas.
What You’ll Do
As a Media Manager reporting to the Vice President of Communications & Media, you will join a vibrant, creative team focused on maximizing positive of Teach Plus and Teach Plus teacher leaders in earned and on social media, on our website, and across multiple communications vehicles, and on building Teach Plus’ leadership platform with educators, policymakers, influencers, funders, the press, and the public at-large.
The Media Manager will be responsible for the following, in collaboration with VP of Communications & Media and the communications team:
- Media strategy: Execute on regional and national media strategy in alignment with Teach Plus’s advocacy and impact goals.
- Story generation: Develop story ideas for regional and national media that amplify Teach Plus’s and Teach Plus teacher leaders’ work and successes and highlight promising Teach Plus practices missing from the conversation about systems change and educational equity.
- Media lists development and media research: Build comprehensive media lists using Meltwater database and other tools. Consistently expand media targets through research.
- Press releases, media advisories, and pitch development: Write impactful communications materials that powerfully and succinctly tell the story of Teach Plus and Teach Plus teacher leaders.
- Media outreach: Conduct media outreach across our regions and nationally to generate stories that highlight Teach Plus’s best practices, specific work, and solutions on issues that impact students and on systems-level change.
- Media and placement monitoring and tracking: Continually track media coverage to share with regional teams and as part of communications goals reporting.
- Communications team support: Support the work of the communications team, including writing, editing, updating content on teachplus.org, and other communications needs.
What You’ll Need to Be Successful
- A minimum of five years experience at a communications/public relations agency, in-house PR, or equivalent.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Experience conceptualizing and executing effective, strategic media campaigns and a track record of pitching and placing stories.
- Generative and creative thinking ability and the ability to connect the dots when it comes to storytelling and pitching media.
- Experience in issue-driven communications. Interest in and enthusiasm about making change in K-12 education.
- Knowledge of Salesforce, Campaign Monitor, and Meltwater media database.
Our Commitment to Diversity
To better serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
This remote position is primarily conducted from a home office. From time to time, opportunities might arise to travel to support Teach Plus regions’ media work on site at events and convenings.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is between $70,000–$85,000. The salary offered will be determined based on the selected candidate’s specific qualifications, years of relevant experience, specialized knowledge, and internal equity. Teach Plus provides a comprehensive benefits package and time-off, including 15 vacation days, 3 personal days, 5 sick days, 13 holidays, July break, Winter break, paid parental leave, and a 4-week paid sabbatical for every five years of service.
How to Apply
The cover letter should explain the candidate’s interest in the position and a summary of relevant qualifications and experience.
Please complete an online application found here. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application Link: https://teachplus.tfaforms.net/328278