Teach Plus is a national nonprofit whose mission is to empower excellent, experienced, and diverse teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that advance equity, opportunity, and student access. The Teach Plus team exists to breathe life into the Student Opportunity Mandate: All students should have the opportunity to achieve their potential in an education system defined by its commitment to equity, responsiveness to individual needs, and ability to prepare students for postsecondary success. At the heart of our work is advocacy for collective impact, beginning with classroom teachers.
What We Do
At Teach Plus, we believe in equity-driven teacher leadership. When we invest in developing our most talented teachers into teacher leaders who are well-informed, persuasive, and prepared to lead, they have deep leverage in advancing equity for students, especially for students of color, low-income students, and those from underserved communities. To close the opportunity gap and to ensure equitable access to a world-class education for all students in the schools and communities we serve, we ignite systems change at multiple levels through our Policy Fellowship and Instructional Leadership programs designed to inspire and equip teachers. We are committed to leading change in our Equity Focus Areas.
What You’ll Do
The National Policy Specialist will support policy development, research, and advocacy for Teach Plus’s federal and national policy work, as well as teacher-directed communications and events. This individual will serve on Teach Plus’ national policy and external affairs team, working to support hundreds of Teach Plus teacher leaders and Policy Fellows across 13 regions in their state-directed policy and advocacy efforts and coordinating efforts across Teach Plus’s policy, communications, and research teams to advance Teach Plus’s coalition-building and thought leadership work. In addition, the National Policy Specialist will perform operational and administrative tasks to ensure a smooth and well-functioning national policy and external affairs team. The role will include opportunities for professional growth in education policy, coalition-building, and nonprofit management. Primary responsibilities include:
Policy Research, Advocacy & Analysis
Collaborate with the Federal Policy Manager to set and implement Teach Plus’ federal policy priorities. Assist with legislative analysis and advocacy, which may include research, literature reviews, writing, and additional duties such as:
- Policy writing and research support by editing policy summaries, analyzing legislative text, and providing guidance for teachers and Teach Plus staff.
- Monitor national policy efforts, attend Congressional hearings and meetings on Capitol Hill and accompany teachers to legislator visits.
- Provide administrative, logistical, and editorial support for Teach Plus national policy work, including but not limited to tracking congressional and external meetings and drafting policy briefs, policy memos, testimonies, and op-eds.
- Creating and editing fact sheets, white papers, presentations, and other documents.
- Maintain accurate and timely data and enter appropriate information related to the
policy programs into the Salesforce database, including tracking and reporting congressional and external meetings.
- Support ad hoc policy projects and activities as needed.
Operations and Administrative Support
Provide administrative and operations support for Teacher Leaders and the National Policy & Advocacy Network.
- Manage planning and logistics for policy-related events and meetings, including scheduling for staff and National Policy and Advocacy Board (NPAB), developing work products (slide presentations, handouts, and other relevant materials), and managing event details and tasks.
- Support the creation of a federal policy curriculum for teacher leaders.
- Support the activities and growth of the National Policy & Advocacy Network.
- Author newsletters, invitations, and marketing for national teacher events.
External Affairs & Thought Leadership
Support the Chief of Policy, Planning & External Affairs on thought leadership, coalition-building, and partnership activities.
- Create briefing documents for the CEO and Chief of Policy, Planning & External Affairs.
- Project manage plans for cross-functional campaigns (including media, research, and policy advocacy) focused on key policy issues.
- Support in the planning, material development, and scheduling of coalition and partnership meetings.
What You’ll Need to be Successful
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- At least one year of relevant work experience in a policy-related field, such as education and/or social justice. Congressional level policy experience and/or teaching experience is strongly preferred
- Strong project management and time management skills, with the ability to work independently and effectively in a remote environment
- Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively among regional and national team members, both in-person and in a virtual environment
- Comfort or willingness to learn using social media platforms, spreadsheets, and database programs (e.g. Salesforce, Campaign Monitor, or similar)
- A passionate commitment to advancing equity and improving public education, including supporting outstanding and diverse teachers to contribute to the success of all students.
This position will be conducted virtually (primarily from a home office). Applicants should live in, or within reasonable commute distance, of Washington, D.C.
What We Offer
The compensation range for this position is between $60,000-$70,000, and the salary will be determined based on the selected candidate’s specific qualifications, years of relevant experience, specialized knowledge, and internal equity. Teach Plus offers a benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 3% matching 401k plan, disability and life insurance, and Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and childcare expenses. Teach Plus offers generous time off benefits, including 15 vacation days, 3 personal days, 5 sick days, 11 holidays, and winter break. Teach Plus offers paid parental leave and a 4-week paid sabbatical for every five years of service.
Teach Plus is an equal-opportunity employer and encourages applications from diverse candidates. Teach Plus does not discriminate in any aspect of employment based on race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found here. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application Link: https://teachplus.tfaforms.net/328206