I. Overview of Teach Plus
The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced, and diverse teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that affect their students’ success. The organization empowers expert teachers to advance policy changes and improve instructional leadership and teacher supports; trains and coaches teacher leaders to successfully mobilize and lead teacher teams; and empowers teacher leaders to be change agents among their peers and policy makers. Since 2009, Teach Plus has trained thousands of teacher leaders across the country who are driving policy changes and improving the instructional practices of teachers to create an education system driven by equity, access, and excellence for all students.
II. Position Responsibilities
The Policy Director is primarily responsible for leading Teach Plus’s federal and state policy strategy. This individual will serve on Teach Plus’ national policy team, working to represent the expertise of Teach Plus teachers in federal policy and national coalitions, and providing support to Teach Plus’ 12 state teams in their state and local advocacy.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Work with members of the Teach Plus national team, teachers, and other key stakeholders to set federal policy goals and build an advocacy strategy engaging teachers in campaigns to inform and enact those goals.
- Engage with the U.S. Department of Education and Congress to inform and advance policies, guidance, and legislation that is informed by Teach Plus teachers.
- Represent Teach Plus and the views of teachers in federal policy coalitions and collaborate with other equity-driven organizations.
- With the National Policy Specialist, lead the National Policy Advisory Board and National Policy & Advocacy Network, and support teachers from across the country in meeting with federal policymakers.
- Along with the National Policy Specialist, monitor national legislative happenings and conduct outreach with national education policymakers and stakeholders, including attending Congressional hearings and meetings on Capitol Hill and accompanying teachers to legislator visits.
- Provide tools, supports, and individualized coaching for Teach Plus’ 12 state Executive Directors and their teams as they work with teams of teachers advancing policy change in Teach Plus’ Equity Focus Areas.
- Monitor and analyze state and local education policy efforts and identify greater opportunities for alignment and impact across Teach Plus.
- Lead organizational learning on policy issues in the Equity Focus Areas.
Management & Systems-Building
- Manage and oversee the professional development of Teach Plus’ National Policy Specialist.
- Oversee the systems necessary to lead Teach Plus’ policy work, including ensuring the effective use of Teach Plus’ database, grass-roots mobilization platform, and tracking of data.
- Leverage Teach Plus’ Impact Rubric to support leaders across the organization in setting and making progress towards policy goals.
- Partner with the Chief of Staff to provide dotted-line policy management to state Executive Directors.
Communications & Fundraising
- Partner with the communications and research teams to produce policy communications, such as Dear Colleague and coalition letters, policy briefs, and teacher-written op-eds.
- Provide fundraising support on proposal development related to state and federal policy efforts, including attending relevant funder meetings, collaborating in proposal-writing, etc.
In order to be successful in this role, ideal candidates should have:
- Significant experience in federal education policy with at least 8 years of federal and/or state policy experience or relevant work experience in a policy-related field, such as education and/or social justice
- A passionate commitment to advancing equity and improving public education, including by supporting outstanding and diverse teachers to contribute to the success of all students
- Experience participating in coalitions and building strategic relationships with diverse groups and interests
- Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively among regional and national team members, policy makers, and coalition partners, both in-person and in a virtual environment
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong project management and time management skills
- Previous teaching experience is a significant plus
IV. Commitment to Diversity
In order to better serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
V. Compensation and Benefits
The compensation range for this position is between $95,000 and $120,000, and salary will be determined based on the selected candidate’s specific qualifications, years of relevant experience, specialized knowledge, and internal equity. In addition, Teach Plus offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 3% matching 401k plan, disability and life insurance, and Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and childcare expenses. Teach Plus offers generous time off benefits including 15 vacation days, 3 personal days, 5 sick days, 12 holidays, and winter break. Additionally, Teach Plus offers a 4-week paid sabbatical for every five years of service.
Although this position will be conducted virtually (primarily from a home office), travel to Washington, D.C. will be required as needed. Applicants who live in, or within easy driving distance, of Washington, D.C. preferred.
VII. How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found here. The online application will require you to upload a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should include an explanation of your interest in the position as well as a summary of relevant qualifications and experience. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application Link: https://teachplus.tfaforms.net/328137