Teach Plus Mississippi invites teachers to apply for the Mississippi Teaching Policy Fellowship. This is a highly selective paid leadership opportunity for outstanding Mississippi teachers looking to deepen their knowledge of education policy and gain a voice in decisions that affect students and the teaching profession. Through the Fellowship, we develop, support, and empower some of Mississippi's best teachers to become advocates for their students by developing specific policy recommendations that will improve educational systems for all children across the state.
What is the Teach Plus Mississippi Teaching Fellowship?
- Fellows expand their influence without leaving the classroom, starting in August 2021 and concluding in August 2022.
- Fellows participate in Monthly Sessions (virtual and in-person)
- Fellows receive training through expert-led modules and direct engagement with key stakeholders. No prior policy experience required.
- We will recruit teachers statewide, with a particular focus on recruiting teachers from the Mississippi Delta.
- Fellows receive a $1,500 stipend for their commitment.
What do we do?
Teach Plus trains teachers in understanding education policy as a lever for student success, community organizing, writing op-eds and speaking to the media, providing public testimony, and more. Teach Plus works to create and connect teachers to opportunities to lead in real ways at the policy level.
How does it work?
Teach Plus recruits and selects Mississippi Teaching Policy Fellows from across the state to participate in the cohort experience. You will become part of a larger movement of teacher leadership and help mobilize your peers around top issues impacting the teaching profession in Mississippi. Teach Plus works with key stakeholders and policymakers to join the conversation.
Teach Plus Policy Fellows have:
- Met with Mississippi’s U.S. Senate offices in support of federal stimulus funds to address the impact of COVID-19
- Developed and presented policy recommendations in support of trauma-informed schools and career-readiness assessments
- Met with State Superintendent Dr. Carey Wright, House and Senate Education chairs, and members of the State Board of Education
- Conducted focus groups with Mississippi teachers to develop recommendations for stimulus spending and for strengthening the state’s teacher pipeline.
- Been published or featured in statewide news publications, including The Clarion Ledger and Mississippi Today.
- Be a current teacher of record with at least two (2) full year of teaching experience by August 2021
- Have a track record of success teaching students in district or charter public schools in Mississippi
- Be ready to dedicate your time and passion to learning about policy and advocating on behalf of changes that impact students
- Be able to attend the kickoff event in late August (exact dates TBD)
Part 1 – Written Application
The written application asks you to complete general demographic information, short responses and provide contact information for two professional references (letters of reference are not required.) Applications are due May 3, 2021.
Part 2 – Interview
You will be notified if you have been invited to participate in an interview. Interviews will take place virtually May 25-27, 2021.
Part 3 – Selection
You will be notified if you have been selected to join the Mississippi Teaching Policy Fellowship. If accepted, you will commit to attending the kick-off convening in Jackson in late August (exact dates TBD) and monthly sessions throughout the fellowship.
Click here to nominate a teacher!