What is the Nevada Teacher Network?
Teach Plus Nevada is excited to expand our collaborative efforts with teachers who want to be active in educational policy. As a Teach Plus Nevada Network teacher, you will receive training on policy and advocacy, have an opportunity to advocate on behalf of your students, learn about teacher leadership opportunities and awards, and collaborate with other education champions from your region and throughout the state.
Through our Teacher Network, we will engage with a broader community of educators to inform them on key educational issues in our state and engage them in advocacy efforts to improve the teaching profession and outcomes for students. Network members gain access to Teach Plus training and learning sessions, inform policymakers, and engage in advocacy to increase equitable opportunities for students.
- Be a current or retired teacher in Nevada
- Be willing to participate in Teach Plus activities includings: taking a poll/survey, giving written/verbal testimony, attending a Teach Plus event, and/or writing an op-ed
- Be willing to participate in monthly check-ins/professional learning opportunities
What do we do?
Teach Plus trains teachers in understanding education policy as a lever for student success, community organizing, leveraging their voices in both media and the legislature, and more. Teach Plus works to create opportunities for teachers to contribute to the discussions and action that directly impacts their profession at the policy level while maintaining their essential role as a classroom educator.
How does it work?
Teach Plus recruits and selects Nevada Network teachers from across the state to participate in the network experience. You will become part of a larger movement of teacher leadership, and help share your expertise with policymakers and mobilize your peers around top issues impacting the teaching profession in Nevada. Nevada Network teachers will have a light scale experience of the Teaching Policy Fellowship and may have an opportunity to apply for future Teaching Policy Fellowships.
Opportunities as a Network Teacher
- Attend high quality virtual (in-person as appropriate) professional learning events on understanding educational policy, teacher leadership, etc.
- Engage in discussions with education decision makers, including state legislators
- Learn about teacher leadership opportunities and awards
- Stay updated on Teach Plus Nevada’s research, recommendations, and advocacy work
- Participate in Teach Plus and Teach Plus Nevada events as available
- Write an op-ed or letter to the editor
- Speak at a local school board meeting and/or testify at a state committee meeting or hearing
- Learn about and stay updated on educational bills during the legislative session
Nationally and locally, Teach Plus Policy Fellows have:
- Met with district and state legislators to advocate for policies that benefit their students.
- Shaped state plans across the country for the Every Student Succeeds Act.
- Engaged in professional learning opportunities and education policy, elevating teacher voice in state and national policy conversations.
- Led and served in state and national fellowships such as the Nevada Succeeds InspirED Fellowship and the National Board Fellowship, developing and engaging as reflective practitioners and action researchers of critical education challenges.
- Been published in Education Week (EdWeek), ASCD InService, Edutopia, ASCD Educational Leadership, Educating All Learners, the Nevada Independent, and the Las Vegas Review Journal.
When nominating, choose Regional Teacher Network in the dropdown list