Training teachers as advocates to ensure that New Mexico teachers and students thrive
What is the New Mexico Teaching Policy Fellowship?
- Fellows expand their influence without leaving the classroom starting July 2021 and concluding April 2022.
- In-person training sessions (dependent on COVID-19 restrictions), and online monthly virtual sessions.
- Fellows receive training through expert-led modules and direct engagement with key stakeholders. No prior policy experience required (previous candidates may reapply).
- Fellows receive a $1,600 stipend for their commitment.
What does Teach Plus do?
Teach Plus trains teachers in: understanding education policy as a lever for student success, community organizing, writing op-eds and speaking to the media, providing public testimony, and more. Teach Plus works to create and connect teachers to opportunities to lead in real ways at the policy level.
“Meeting with the New Mexico Lt. Governor was a highlight. It allowed my team to promote our initiative with someone who truly can effect change.” - Teach Plus NM Policy Fellow
How does it work?
Teach Plus recruits and selects New Mexico Teaching Policy Fellows from across the state to participate in the cohort experience. Fellows become part of a larger movement of teacher leadership and help mobilize their peers around top issues impacting the teaching profession in New Mexico. Teach Plus works with key stakeholders and policymakers to join the conversation.
Nationally and locally, Teach Plus Policy Fellows have:
- Ensured teacher demographics were included in the NM Vista data dashboard to support teacher diversity
- Successfully advocated for improved communication between NMPED and teachers during COVID-19, including the implementation of “Teacher Town Halls”
- Published op-eds or have been featured in interviews in Education Week, the Albuquerque Journal, and the Santa Fe New Mexican
“All expectations I had in the beginning of this journey have been far surpassed. Opportunities during the fellowship have been phenomenal. I found my teacher voice and will continue to use it!” - Teach Plus NM Policy Fellow
Teach Plus seeks a cohort of teachers who reflect the cultural, linguistic, and geographic diversity of New Mexico. Apply to the policy fellowship if you:
- Are a current teacher of record (PK-12) with at least two full years of teaching experience by June 2021.
- Have a track record of success teaching students in traditional public or charter schools in New Mexico.
- Are ready to dedicate your time and energy to learning about policy and advocating on behalf of changes that impact your students -- while continuing to teach full time.
- Have a passion for sharing the diverse perspectives and experiences of students and teachers with policy makers.
Interested? Email Liz Wolber at email@example.com
Part 1 – Written Application (due by May 16, 2021)
The written application asks you to complete general demographic information, short responses and provide contact information for two professional references (letters of reference are not required.)
Part 2 – Interview (week of June 1-4, 2021)
You will be notified if you have been invited to participate in a virtual interview.
Part 3 – Selection
You will be notified if you have been selected to join the Teach Plus New Mexico Policy Fellowship. If accepted, you will commit to attending the kickoff in July 2021.