I. Overview of Teach Plus
The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced, and diverse teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that affect their students’ success. The organization empowers expert teachers to advance policy changes and improve instructional leadership and teacher supports; trains and coaches teacher leaders to successfully mobilize and lead teacher teams; and empowers teacher leaders to be change agents among their peers and policy makers. Since 2009, Teach Plus has trained thousands of teacher leaders across the country who are driving policy changes and improving the instructional practices of teachers to create an education system driven by equity, access, and excellence for all students.
II. Position Summary
Teach Plus research works with teacher leaders and Teach Plus staff in advancing state and national research studies in various education policy areas. In 2019 and 2020, examples of these topics include new teacher mentoring and induction, the recruitment and retention of teachers of color, teacher preparation, and social and emotional learning. Policy topics and issues will vary based on the interests and work of teacher leaders.
Reporting to the Senior National Director of Research and Knowledge (research director), the Research Associate will serve as a resource to Teach Plus teacher leaders and staff to help them better understand existing research, develop their own research projects, and conduct primary and secondary research.
III. Position Responsibilities
- Secondary research support, including:
- Retrieve research resources for Teaching Policy Fellows in multiple states working on various education policy projects.
- Review and provide advice on sources for bibliographies and literature reviews on various state and national research and advocacy projects.
- Maintain Teach Plus research library on key education policy topics.
- Primary research support, including:
- Review and provide guidance on data collection protocols created by state Teaching Policy Fellows and national Senior Teaching Research Fellows, e.g. review survey instruments and focus group protocols.
- Analyze quantitative data generated from state and national surveys.
- Acquire and conduct secondary data analysis from state and national sources.
- Provide support and training to Teaching Policy Fellows and Senior Teaching Research Fellows as they conduct qualitative data analysis.
- Review qualitative data analyses conducted by fellows.
- Provide research-writing support, including:
- Review drafts of reports and briefs produced by state Teaching Policy Fellows and national Senior Teaching Research Fellows.
- Help fellows apply APA style and Teach Plus brand and style guidelines to their research-related writing, e.g. ensuring figures and charts in reports and briefs follow Teach Plus style guidelines.
IV. Skills and Talents
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least four years of education experience, which could include, but is not limited to teaching, graduate school studies, or working in an education organization.
- Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research methods, including focus group, survey, and interview practices and descriptive quantitative data analysis.
- Quantitative data management and analysis experience, including working with Stata and Microsoft Excel.
- Dedication to ensuring educational equity for students, and a deep belief in the power of teachers to bring about positive change.
- Enrollment in or completion of a graduate degree in education policy, analysis, or related fields.
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, mission-driven, and highly entrepreneurial environment.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to complete projects independently.
- Ability to collaborate effectively among regional and national team members, both in-person and in a virtual environment.
V. Commitment to Diversity
In order to better-serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
VI. Our Culture
At Teach Plus, we are driven by our mission and our core values are a driving force behind everything we do: Leadership, Diversity and Equity, Solutions-orientation, Joy, Integrity in Practice, and Collaboration. We love what we do and we work hard to make a difference for teachers and students. We are smart, passionate, and engaged with one another. We are thought partners, collaborators, and constant learners.
This is a grant funded position that will begin in September 2019 through December 2020. Compensation for this position will be $25 per hour with an average of ten hours of work per week with a schedule agreed to by the Research Associate and the research director.
VIII. Work Hours and Commitment
Core work hours will be agreed upon in conjunction with the research director. Additionally, this role requires occasional evening meetings to support and meet with teachers.
IX. How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found here. The online application will require you to upload a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should include an explanation of your interest in the position as well as a summary of relevant qualifications and experience. The tentative start date is September 3rd, but is flexible based on candidate’s availability. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application Link: https://teachplus.tfaforms.net/327945