Training teachers as advocates to ensure that Nevada teachers and students thrive
What is the Nevada Teaching Policy Fellowship?
- A highly selective leadership opportunity for outstanding Nevada teachers looking to deepen their knowledge of education policy and gain a voice in decisions that affect students and the teaching profession.
- Fellows expand their influence without leaving the classroom, starting in January 2018 and concluding in June 2019.
- Three in-person training sessions, and online monthly virtual sessions.
- Fellows receive training through expert-led modules and direct engagement with key stakeholders. No prior policy experience required.
- Fellows receive a $1,500 stipend for their commitment.
What do we do?
Teach Plus trains teachers in: understanding education policy as a lever for student success, community organizing, writing op-eds and speaking to the media, providing public testimony, and more. Teach Plus works to create and connect teachers to opportunities to lead in real ways at the policy level.
How does it work?
Teach Plus recruits and selects Nevada Teaching Policy Fellows from across the state to participate in the cohort experience. You will become part of a larger movement of teacher leadership and help mobilize your peers around top issues impacting the teaching profession in Nevada. Teach Plus works with key stakeholders and policymakers to join the conversation.
Nationally and locally, Teach Plus Policy Fellows have:
- Met with President Barack Obama in the Oval Office
- Shaped state plans across the country for the Every Student Succeeds Act
- Drove the reform of the teacher evaluation system in New Mexico
- Joined Former Secretary of Education Arne Duncan as part of the U.S. Department of Education’s official delegation to the International Summit on the Teaching Profession
- Been published or featured in Education Week, the Associated Press, major local news publications, and have appeared on National Public Radio and local and national and local television outlets