I. Overview of Teach Plus
The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced, and diverse teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that advance equity, opportunity, and student success. The organization empowers expert teachers to advance policy changes and improve instructional leadership and teacher supports; trains and coaches teacher leaders to successfully mobilize and lead teacher teams; and empowers teacher leaders to be change agents among their peers and policy makers. Since 2009, Teach Plus has trained thousands of teacher leaders across the country who are driving policy changes and improving the instructional practices of teachers to create an education system driven by equity, access, and excellence for all students.
II. Position Description
Teach Plus’ T3 Initiative is an innovative program that trains, coaches, and supports effective, experienced teachers to lead teams of peers to improve student academic outcomes across grade levels. T3 teacher leaders lead their grade teams in professional learning communities aimed at improving student outcomes through data-driven inquiry, implementation of evidence-based practice, and collaborative planning and professional learning. T3 teacher leaders receive regular one-on-one coaching, cohort-based professional development, and cross-school professional learning opportunities from embedded T3 teacher leadership coaches.
Since 2017, Teach Plus has partnered with the School District of Philadelphia (SDP) to implement the T3 program in five SDP elementary schools. Teacher leaders engage in regular individualized and collaborative learning with their coaches, learning to plan purposefully, use research and data
effectively, and facilitate the learning of their peers. Grade teams intentionally focus on aligning the elements of the “instructional core” and implementing evidence-based literacy practices. In the first two years of the T3 partnership, 87% of teachers agreed that “My T3 teacher leader has had a positive impact on my practice” and 100% of principals agreed that “I would recommend Teach Plus as a partner.” As a whole, grade teams have made substantial progress toward meeting school and district student achievement goals for early literacy. Based on this success, Teach Plus and SDP are partnering for two additional years of support at our five T3 partner schools, with the goal of building the schools’ capacity to sustain teacher leadership support independently by the end of the two years.
The T3 teacher leadership coach position is a critical school-based leadership opportunity for a skilled coach who is looking to support instructional practice change driven by teacher leaders. The coach will support individual teacher leaders’ growth as instructional leaders based on SDP’s Leadership Competencies at two T3 partner elementary schools.
Specifically, the T3 teacher leadership coach is responsible for:
- Coach and Develop Teacher Leaders.
- Coach six grade-level teacher leaders per school, meeting one-on-one at least biweekly to plan for upcoming meetings, debrief previous meetings, provide feedback aligned with SDP’s Leadership Competencies, explore problems of practice, and engage in individualized leadership coaching.
- Plan and facilitate biweekly school-based T3 teacher leader cohort meetings, in collaboration with school administration, to build teacher leaders’ capacity and facilitate their involvement in school-wide improvement.
- Work intensively with one school-based teacher leader or teacher leader point person per school to develop that individual’s capacity for taking on leadership coaching at the end of the two-year partnership.
- Foster High Functioning, High Impact Teacher-Led PLCs.
- Observe and strategically contribute in weekly grade-level PLCs/ common planning time.
- Support teacher leaders in implementing SDP’s common planning time protocols effectively and collaborating with other leaders, such as Early Literacy Specialists, literacy leads, reading specialists, and special education liaisons to ensure aligned approaches to teacher and student support.
- Support School Leadership.
- Serve as part of school leadership team.
- Meet regularly with principal and school administration to ensure program fidelity.
- Participate in school-wide and network walkthroughs to help connect professional learning to instructional practice, as directed by the principal and network superintendent.
- With support of the Teach Plus regional director, T3 teacher leadership coaches collaborate across the Philadelphia T3 network to provide the following cross-school supports for the T3 Teacher Leaders across the district:
- Plan for and deliver portions of the Summer Institute, a multi-day hands-on training for T3 Teacher Leaders across the Philadelphia T3 network.
- Plan for and deliver three evening cross-school Link professional development sessions for Teacher Leaders across the T3 network.
Program Evaluation & Learnings
- With support of the Teach Plus regional director, T3 teacher leadership coaches collect, analyze, and share data on the impact of the program, including student achievement data, teacher survey data, and school-level needs assessments.
- Data for each school is to be compiled and shared quarterly with principals and district leaders.
Coach Professional Learning
Teach Plus invests heavily in the development of the coaching team, ensuring that coaches learn from and with each other in the following ways:
- Comprehensive onboarding & orientation
- Weekly Philadelphia coaches’ meetings
- Monthly national practice team meetings
- Consistent feedback and support through one-on-one meetings with the Teach Plus regional director
To be successful in this role, ideal candidates should have:
- 6+ years in the education field, preferably including experience both teaching and leading adults in an urban environment
- Elementary and/or early literacy experience preferred, with a demonstrated track record of exemplary student achievement gains
- A relentless focus on data, including analysis and using it to inform instruction and make decisions
- Experience with coaching, leadership development, leading professional development, and/or facilitating adult learning
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with and value the perspectives of diverse stakeholders
- A passionate commitment to improving educational experiences for underserved students
IV. Start Date and Term
The start date for this position is August 3 2020, contingent upon grant renewal and finalization of funding. This is a two-year grant-funded position, with renewal possible on an annual basis in August based on performance, funding of continued work with partners, and needs of the organization.
V. Commitment to Diversity
In order to better-serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
VI. Compensation and Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Full time employees have access to Teach Plus’s benefit package to include medical and dental insurance, retirement, life insurance, disability, and generous paid time off benefits.
VII. How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found here. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application Link: https://teachplus.tfaforms.net/328010