We believe in equity-driven teacher leadership. When we invest in developing our most talented teachers into teacher leaders who are well-informed, persuasive, and prepared to lead, they have deep leverage in advancing equity for students, especially for students of color, low income students, and those from underserved communities.
We believe in delivering a mandate for student opportunity. All students should have the opportunity to achieve their potential in an education system defined by its commitment to equity, its responsiveness to individual needs, and its ability to prepare students for postsecondary success.
We’re pursuing a growth strategy driven by an advocacy agenda for collective impact. By 2025:
- 4,000 teacher leaders in our programs: We will double the number of teacher leaders engaged and supported in our programming to lead change from 2,000 to 4,000.
- 35,000 educators in our network: We will link our communities of policy and practice leaders across the country and mobilize our network of over 35,000 educators.
- 16 states: We will expand to 16 states, reaching a majority share of the nation’s African-American, Latino, and low-income learners.
- Teacher leadership as an essential lever: We will establish Teach Plus attributes, skills, and competencies of teacher leadership as essential levers for change and increase the presence of effective distributed and shared teacher leadership in schools.
Through this growth, we are breaking down barriers in the AREAS FOR EQUITY ripe for change:
- Teacher preparation, development, and leadership. We are building access for teachers to high- quality preparation, clinical practice, induction, and mentoring.
- Recruitment and retention of a diverse teaching force. We are creating the conditions for teachers of color to enter, stay, grow, and thrive in the teaching profession.
- Whole child, student-centered learning. We are ensuring that educators meet the needs of the whole child, including support for implementing the science of learning in their schools and classrooms.
- Rigorous curricula, high standards, and meaningful accountability. We are providing students with greater access to rigorous, relevant curricula, culturally-competent teaching, and accountability for equitable resources in our schools.
- High-quality early childhood education. We are expanding access to high-quality early learning and enhancing the quality of early learning programs and settings.
We are leveraging our expertise in the field and innovating across our programs and networks to close achievement and opportunity gaps at a greater scale:
- Bridging policy and practice. We are developing and supporting teacher leaders to forge connections between educational policy and instructional practice, leading to systemic change for more students.
- Deepening our network of teachers. We are empowering a national network of teacher leaders across diverse geographic boundaries and contexts, positioning them for impact on policy change and improvements in instructional practice.
- Deepening our impact. We are deepening our impact by scaling our programs, connecting with partners, and reaching out to more students, classrooms, and states.
- Elevating teacher leadership. We are building public awareness of teacher-led solutions to inspire others, strengthen the teaching profession, and create a groundswell of teacher-led positive change.