Note: Are you a Texas teacher who teaches anywhere other than Dallas ISD, Ft. Worth ISD, or Richardson ISD? Apply for the Teach Plus Texas Policy Fellowship!
You are invited to apply for the Teach Plus DFW Policy Fellowship, a highly selective leadership opportunity for outstanding teachers from Dallas ISD, Ft. Worth ISD, and Richardson ISD looking to deepen your knowledge of education policy and gain a voice in decisions that affect your students and the teaching profession.
What is the Teach Plus DFW Policy Fellowship?
- Fellows expand your influence without leaving the classroom, starting in June 2019 and concluding in June 2020.
- Two retreats, monthly meetings in the evening, and smaller, issues-focused working groups.
- Fellows receive training through expert-led modules and direct engagement with key stakeholders. No prior policy experience required.
- Fellows receive a $1,500 stipend for your commitment.
What do you do?
You receive training from Teach Plus in: understanding education policy as a lever for student success, community organizing, writing op-eds and speaking to the media, providing public testimony, and more. Teach Plus connects you with policy makers and opportunities to propose policy solutions, testify, write op-eds, and meet with decision-makers at the local and state levels.
How does it work?
Teach Plus recruits and selects Teach Plus DFW Policy Fellows to participate in the cohort experience. You will become part of a larger movement of teacher leadership and help mobilize your peers around top issues impacting the teaching profession in the Metroplex. You will work in groups with fellow teachers to advocate on behalf of your students.
Teach Plus teachers have:
- Met with Texas legislators and staff, spoken at School Board meetings, and proposed policy solutions to the Texas Education Agency.
- Featured on the cover of Time Magazine.
- Joined Secretaries of Education as part of the U.S. Department of Education’s official delegation to the International Summit on the Teaching Profession.
- Been published or featured in the Dallas Morning News, the Texas Tribune, Education Week, the Houston Chronicle, and the Austin American-Statesman, and have been interviewed on television and radio.
Teach Plus seeks a cohort of teachers who reflect the cultural, linguistic, and geographic diversity of our state. Apply if you:
- Are a current teacher of record (PK-12) in Dallas ISD, Ft. Worth ISD, or Richardson ISD.
- Have a track record of successfully teaching students for at least three full years by June 2019.
- Are ready to dedicate your time and energy to learning about policy and advocating on behalf of changes that impact your students -- while continuing to teach full time.
- Have a passion for sharing the diverse perspectives and experiences of students and teachers with policy makers.
Part 1 – Written Application
The written application asks you to complete general demographic information, short responses and provide contact information for two professional references (letters of reference are not required.) Applications are due April 14, 2019.
Part 2 – Interview
You will be notified if you have been invited to participate in an interview.
Part 3 – Selection
You will be notified if you have been selected to join the Teach Plus DFW Policy Fellowship. If accepted, you will commit to attending two retreats, monthly Fellows meetings, and monthly meetings with your working group throughout the fellowship. The DFW Policy Fellowship kickoff weekend is scheduled for June 10th- June 11th.