Teachers from across Texas:
You are invited to apply for the Teach Plus Texas Policy Fellowship, a highly selective leadership opportunity for outstanding Texas teachers looking to deepen your knowledge of education policy and gain a voice in decisions that affect your students and the teaching profession.
What is the Teach Plus Texas Policy Fellowship?
- Fellows expand your influence without leaving the classroom, starting in June 2021 and concluding in June 2022.
- Two in-person training sessions (dependent on COVID-19 restrictions), monthly virtual meetings, and smaller, issues-focused working groups.
- Fellows receive training through expert-led modules and direct engagement with key stakeholders. No prior policy experience required.
- Fellows receive a $1,500 stipend for your commitment.
What do you do?
Teach Plus connects you with policy makers and opportunities to propose policy solutions, testify, write op-eds, and meet with decision-makers at the local and state levels. You receive training from Teach Plus in:
- Understanding education policy as a lever for student success
- Community organizing
- Writing op-eds and speaking to the media
- Conducting focus groups with fellow teachers
- Providing public testimony.
How does it work?
Teach Plus recruits and selects Teach Plus Texas Policy Fellows from across the state to participate in the cohort experience. You will become part of a larger movement of teacher leadership and help mobilize your peers around top issues impacting equity for students and the teaching profession in Texas. You will work in groups with fellow teachers to advocate on behalf of your students.
Teach Plus teachers have:
- Met with Texas legislators and staff, spoken at hearings, and proposed policy solutions to the Texas Education Agency.
- Met with President Barack Obama in the Oval Office.
- Joined Secretaries of Education as part of the U.S. Department of Education’s official delegation to the International Summit on the Teaching Profession.
- Been published in the Texas Tribune, Education Week, the Houston Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, and the Austin-American Statesman, and others, and have been interviewed on television and radio.
Teach Plus seeks a cohort of teachers who reflect the cultural, linguistic, and geographic diversity of our state. Apply to the policy fellowship if you:
- Are a current teacher of record (PK-12) with at least two full years of teaching experience by June 2021.
- Have a track record of success teaching students in traditional public or charter schools in Texas.
- Are ready to dedicate your time and energy to learning about policy and advocating on behalf of changes that impact your students -- while continuing to teach full time.
- Have a passion for sharing the diverse perspectives and experiences of students and teachers with policy makers.
Interested? Email Alyssa Glenn at firstname.lastname@example.org
Part 1 – Written Application
The written application asks you to complete general demographic information, short responses and provide contact information for two professional references (letters of reference are not required.)
Part 2 – Interview
You will be notified if you have been invited to participate in a virtual interview.
Part 3 – Selection
You will be notified if you have been selected to join the Teach Plus Texas Policy Fellowship. If accepted, you will commit to attending the virtual kickoff in June 2021.
Click here to nominate a teacher!