I. Overview of Teach Plus
The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced, and diverse teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that advance equity, opportunity, and student success. The organization empowers expert teachers to advance policy changes and improve instructional leadership and teacher supports; trains and coaches teacher leaders to successfully mobilize and lead teacher teams; and empowers teacher leaders to be change agents among their peers and policy makers. Since 2009, Teach Plus has trained thousands of teacher leaders across the country who are driving policy changes and improving the instructional practices of teachers to create an education system driven by equity, access, and excellence for all students.
II. Position Responsibilities
Reporting to the Texas Executive Director, the Texas Program Coordinator will join a collaborative team to support teachers as they conduct advocacy efforts to enact policy change that impacts teachers and their students at a state and district level. Primary responsibilities include working group coordination, grants writing and reporting, recruitment and management of the Texas Network, and recruitment and selection. The role will include opportunities for professional growth in education policy and non-profit management.
State Fellowship Working Group Coordination, Research, and Support
- Support work of the fellowship teacher leaders by providing training; and editing and providing input to teachers as they write op-eds.
- Support the working group with research inputs, products, and timeline, analysis of legislative activity, fact-checking data, facilitation of in-person and virtual meetings, and preparation of material.
- Act as a thought partner on various projects and provide general support on publications.
Grant Writing and Reporting
- Support in the grants-renewal process for existing donors, including timely submission of grant reports to funders.
- Write and submit new grant proposals and letters of inquiry, independently and in collaboration with the Executive Director.
- Support the implementation of internal evaluations and surveys that track the progress and impact of our programs.
Teach Plus Texas Network Support
- Lead on the planning and coordination of Teach Plus Texas Network sessions, including logistics, space, materials, etc.
- Manage relationships and opportunities for alumni, including mobilizing them for impact opportunities and visibility.
- Write the monthly Network Newsletters on behalf of the Executive Director.
Recruitment and Selection of Program Participants
- Create and execute fellowship recruitment plans and outreach strategies to expand the reach of the fellowships and support state-wide recruitment highly-effective teachers.
- Manage the selection process in partnership with key regional staff members.
- Develop messaging for marketing and recruitment materials to engage alumni and new Network members, communicate application requirements and program details to applicants through multiple channels, including in-person presentations, webinars, etc.
In order to be successful in this role, ideal candidates should have:
- Dedication to equity for students, and a deep belief in the power of teachers to bring about positive change.
- Familiarity with the education landscape and current education policy issues facing teachers, including but not limited to teacher prep, education finance, retention of teachers of color, SEL, blended learning, etc.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including superior writing and copy editing skills
- Keen research and analytical skills, with the ability to quickly gather information
- Strong project management skills and the initiative to complete tasks independently
- Policy and advocacy experience, preferred
- Classroom teaching experience, preferred
We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job with the potential to develop and succeed with coaching and support. We recognize that such a candidate may have a less traditional background or have different kinds of relevant experience. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.
IV. Commitment to Diversity
In order to better-serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
V. Compensation and Benefits
Salary is competitive and will be based on prior experience and qualifications. Full benefits package includes medical, dental, retirement, disability, life insurance and generous paid time off benefits.
VI. How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found here. The online application will require you to upload a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should include an explanation of your interest in the position as well as a summary of relevant qualifications and experience. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application Link: https://teachplus.tfaforms.net/328014