Through our programs, Teach Plus works with hundreds of teachers every year across the country to advance education policy and practice.
Training teachers as advocates to ensure that New Mexico teachers and students thrive
What is the New Mexico Teaching Policy Fellowship?
- A highly selective leadership opportunity for outstanding New Mexico teachers looking to deepen their knowledge of education policy and gain a voice in decisions that affect students and the teaching profession.
- Fellows expand their influence without leaving the classroom.
- Three in-person training sessions, and online monthly virtual sessions.
- Fellows receive training through expert-led modules and direct engagement with key stakeholders. No prior policy experience required.
- Fellows receive a $1,500 stipend for their commitment.
What do we do?
Teach Plus trains teachers in: understanding education policy as a lever for student success, community organizing, writing op-eds and speaking to the media, providing public testimony, and more. Teach Plus works to create and connect teachers to opportunities to lead in real ways at the policy level.
How does it work?
Teach Plus recruits and selects New Mexico Teaching Policy Fellows from across the state to participate in the cohort experience. Fellows become part of a larger movement of teacher leadership and help mobilize their peers around top issues impacting the teaching profession in New Mexico. Teach Plus works with key stakeholders and policymakers to join the conversation.
Nationally and locally, Teach Plus Policy Fellows have:
- Shaped the New Mexico plan for the Every Student Succeeds Act
- Drove the reform of the teacher evaluation system in New Mexico
- Published op-eds or have been featured in interviews in Education Week, the Albuquerque Journal, and the Santa Fe New Mexican