What is the New Mexico Teacher Network?
Teach Plus New Mexico is excited to expand our collaborative efforts with teachers who want to be active in educational policy. As a New Mexico Network teacher, you will receive training on policy and advocacy, have an opportunity to advocate on behalf of your students, learn about teacher leadership opportunities and awards, and collaborate with other education champions from your region and throughout the state.
Through our Teacher Networks, Teach Plus engages with a community of educators to gather their input on key educational issues in their state and engage them in advocacy efforts to improve the teaching profession and outcomes for students. Network members gain access to Teach Plus training and learning sessions, inform policymakers, and engage in advocacy to increase equitable opportunities for students.
- Be a current or retired teacher in New Mexico
- Be willing to participate in one Teach Plus activity including: taking a poll/survey, giving written/verbal testimony, attending a T+ event and/or writing an op ed
- Be willing to participate in monthly check-ins/trainings
What do we do?
Teach Plus trains teachers in understanding education policy as a lever for student success, community organizing, writing op-eds and speaking to the media, providing public testimony, and more. Teach Plus works to create and connect teachers to opportunities to lead in real ways at the policy level.
How does it work?
Teach Plus recruits and selects New Mexico Network teachers from across the state to participate in the partnership experience. You will become part of a larger movement of teacher leadership and help share your expertise with policymakers and mobilize your peers around top issues impacting the teaching profession in New Mexico. New Mexico Network teachers will have a light scale experience of the Policy Fellowship and will have an opportunity to apply for future Policy Fellowships.
Opportunities as a Network Teacher
- Attend high quality in-person/virtual trainings on understanding educational policy, teacher leadership, etc.
- Talk with education decision makers, including state legislators
- Stay up to date on Teach Plus New Mexico’s research, recommendations, and advocacy work
- Learn about teacher leadership opportunities and awards
- Attend Teach Plus events including our “Day at the Roundhouse”
- Learn about and stay updated on educational bills during the Legislative Session
Nationally and locally, Teach Plus Policy Fellows have:
- Met with district and state legislators to advocate for policies that benefit their students.
- Shaped state plans across the country for the Every Student Succeeds Act, including pushing back the PARCC testing window in New Mexico.
- Partnered with other organizations to advocate for the adoption of NGSS in New Mexico.
- Been published or featured in Education Week, the Associated Press, major local news publications including the Albuquerque Journal and the Santa Fe New Mexican, and appeared on National Public Radio and local and national television outlets.