PLEASE NOTE: Application Deadline Extended to April 22 at 11:59pm.
Equipping teachers to be advocates for teachers and students across Indiana.
What is the Teach Plus Policy Fellowship?
- A highly selective leadership opportunity for outstanding Indiana teachers looking to deepen their knowledge of education policy and gain a voice in decisions that affect students and the teaching profession.
- Fellows expand their influence without leaving the classroom, starting in June 2018 and concluding in June 2019.
- Monthly Fellows Sessions (virtual and in-person)
- Fellows receive training through expert-led modules and direct engagement with key stakeholders.
- No prior policy experience required.
- Fellows receive a $1,600 stipend for their commitment.
What does Teach Plus do?
Teach Plus trains teachers in understanding education policy as a lever for student success, community organizing and outreach, promoting teacher voice through writing op-eds and speaking to the media, providing public testimony, and more. We work to create and connect teachers to opportunities to lead in real ways at the policy level.
How does it work?
Teach Plus recruits and selects Teaching Policy Fellows from across the state to participate in a selective cohort experience and works to bridge the gap between teachers and key stakeholders and policymakers in Indiana. Teachers become part of a larger movement of teacher leadership while learning how to mobilize their peers around critical issues in education.
Nationally, Teach Plus Teaching Policy Fellows have:
- Met with President Barack Obama in the Oval Office
- Shaped state plans across the country for the Every Student Succeeds Act
- Joined Former Secretary of Education Arne Duncan as part of the U.S. Department of Education’s official delegation to the International Summit on the Teaching Profession
- Been published or featured in Education Week, the Associated Press, major local news publications, and have appeared on National Public Radio and local and national and local television outlets
Locally, Indiana Teaching Policy Fellows have:
- Stood beside Governor Holcomb during the ceremonial signing for the new state assessment.
- Met with former US Secretary of Education John King on reducing time students spend on assessment.
- Been named Teacher of the Year in their districts and schools
- Won the Hubbard Life Changing Teacher Award.
- Trained over 300 Indianapolis educators in advocacy storytelling, conducted a compensation simulation with 150 IPS teachers, and testified at IPS school board meetings.
- Fellows continue to publish policy briefs and author op-eds on key issues such as Indianapolis teacher retention, evaluation, compensation, teacher preparation programs, and student social justice. The op-eds have been published in Chalkbeat, the Huffington Post, the Indianapolis Business Journal, the Indianapolis Recorder, the Indianapolis Star, and Nuvo.
- Be a current teacher of record with at least two (2) full year of teaching experience by August 2018
- Have a track record of success teaching students in Indiana
- Be ready to dedicate your time and passion to learning about policy and advocating on behalf of changes that impact students across all
- April 17: Virtual Information Session at 5pm - RSVP Here
- April 22: Applications due by 11:59pm APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 4/22
- May 14-25: Candidate Interviews
- June 1: Candidates are notified of Final Decisions
- June 15-17: Fellowship Launch Weekend - Hold these Dates (More detail to come)
Click here to nominate a teacher!