Equipping teachers to be advocates for teachers and students across Indiana.
What is the Indiana Teach Plus Policy Fellowship?
- A highly selective leadership opportunity for outstanding Indiana teachers looking to deepen their knowledge of education policy and gain a voice in decisions that affect students and the teaching profession.
- Fellows expand their influence without leaving the classroom, starting in June 2019 and concluding in June 2020.
- Monthly Fellows Sessions (virtual and in-person)
- Fellows receive training through expert-led modules and direct engagement with key stakeholders. No prior policy experience required.
What do we do?
Teach Plus trains teachers in understanding education policy as a lever for student success, community organizing, writing op-eds and speaking to the media, providing public testimony, and more. Teach Plus works to create and connect teachers to opportunities to lead in real ways at the policy level.
How does it work?
Teach Plus recruits and selects Indiana Teaching Policy Fellows from across the state to participate in the cohort experience. You will become part of a larger movement of teacher leadership and help mobilize your peers around top issues impacting the teaching profession in Indiana. Teach Plus works with key stakeholders and policymakers to join the conversation.
Nationally, Teach Plus Teaching Policy Fellows have:
- Met with President Barack Obama in the Oval Office
- Shaped the Indiana plan for the Every Student Succeeds Act
- Teach Plus Fellows have stood beside Governor Eric Holcomb at ceremonial signings
- Published op-eds or have been featured in interviews in Chalkbeat, the Huffington Post, the Indianapolis Business Journal, the Indianapolis Recorder, the Indianapolis Star, and Nuvo.
- Be a current teacher of record with at least two (2) full year of teaching experience by August 2019
- Have a track record of success teaching students in Indiana
- Be ready to dedicate your time and passion to learning about policy and advocating on behalf of changes that impact students across all
- April 28th: *NEW Application Deadline (11:59pm)
- May 8th: Candidates will be notified concerning Interviews
- May 14th-21st: Virtual Interviews
- May 24th: Candidates will be notified of final decisions
- May 31-June 2nd: Indiana Teaching Policy Fellowship Kickoff
Part 1 – Written Application
The written application asks you to complete general demographic information, short responses and provide contact information for two professional references (letters of reference are not required.) Applications are due April 28, 2019.
Part 2 – Interview
You will be notified if you have been invited to participate in an interview.
Part 3 – Selection
You will be notified if you have been selected to join the Indiana Teaching Policy Fellowship. If accepted, you will commit to attending the kick-off convening in Indianapolis on May 31-June 2, 2019 and monthly sessions throughout the fellowship.
Click here to nominate a teacher!