Training teachers as policy advocates to ensure that California teachers and students thrive.
Teaching Policy Fellowship California
Since 2011, more than 100 highly effective teachers have taken part in the California Teaching Policy Fellowship. In California, we offer a statewide teaching policy fellowship to outstanding teachers in the state looking to deepen their knowledge of education policy and gain a voice in decisions that directly affect students and the teaching profession
- Education policy as a lever for student success
- Advocacy, including op-ed writing, testifying, and speaking with elected officials and members of the media
- Current and relevant issues in education policy
- Teachers as political leaders
- Testified in front of the California State Board of Education regarding tenure practices. (March 2017)
- Conducted a survey on over 500 California principals’ views on teacher layoff policies, published in the report “Not So Golden: Principals’ Views on California Teacher Layoff Policies.” (February 2016)
- Met with President Barack Obama in the Oval Office to discuss over-testing in American schools (October 2015)
- Led a first-of-its-kind “Testing the Test” event which brought together LA teachers to critically examine the Smarter Balanced assessments (May 2015) and published a brief, “Towards Smarter Tests: California Teachers Examine Next Generation SBAC Assessments.” (September 2015)
- Been published in the Huffington Post, the Modesto Bee, the Sacramento Bee, the Education Post and many other media outlets.