We believe that teacher voice is an integral component of teacher leadership. Through our programs, we develop Teach Plus teacher leaders’ communications and op-ed writing skills. Our mission in this work is to elevate the ideas, knowledge, and expertise of teachers in the media, to bring issues to public attention, and to accelerate solutions that positively affect teachers, students, and equity in education.
Teach Plus Senior Writing Fellows is a highly selective program for Teach Plus alumni to deepen their op-ed writing skills on timely and critical topics, hone their editing skills, and build their platform in the media. As part of the program, the Senior Writing Fellows also mentor Teach Plus teacher leaders in their writing, growing their leadership and mentorship skills.
2022-2023 Teach Plus Senior Writing Fellows
The Senior Writing Fellows:
- Participate in monthly virtual meetings centered on workshopping their writing.
- Develop and publish four op-eds during the program.
- Mentor one-two current Fellows in their writing.
- Engage with and learn from guest speakers during the monthly meetings, including Teach Plus policy and instructional leadership specialists and newspaper and education trade publications’ op-ed and editorial staff.
- The Senior Writing Fellows receive a $1,500 stipend for their commitment.
“Teach Plus has taught me how to advocate for equity in education through writing.”
—Marissa Castañón-Hernandez, 2022-23 Teach Plus Senior Writing Fellow, Texas
“My experiences and opportunities writing with Teach Plus have left a lasting watermark on my life. My voice has been both empowered and amplified through my writing experiences.”
—Shelley Putnam, 2022-23 Teach Plus Senior Writing Fellow, Mississippi
“Building my voice through writing has allowed me to share the positions and practices that I know will make a difference in students’ and teachers’ lives with those who have the power to implement them.”
—Louise Williamson, 2022-23 Teach Plus Senior Writing Fellow, California