The National Policy Advisory Board on their annual Washington D.C. Capitol Hill Day
The Teach Plus National Policy Advisory Board (NPAB) is a highly selective program for current classroom teachers to inform Teach Plus on federal policy decisions and build a teacher leadership movement for educational equity. Board members will deepen their knowledge on federal policy, build their advocacy skills, and create strong relationships with their congressional representatives. As part of the program, members are also expected to act as visible spokespeople for policy changes selected by the National Policy Advisory Board to advance equity and improve the teaching profession.
The 2023-2024 National Policy Advisory Board will begin meeting in April 2023 and continue to meet through April 2024. Board members will:
- Participate in monthly virtual meetings;
- Collaborate with each other and Teach Plus staff to develop policy proposals;
- Build a rapport with their congressional representatives and their staffers;
- Engage with and learn from guest speakers during the monthly meetings; and
- Receive a $1,000 stipend for their commitment.
The 2022-2023 NPAB initiatives included policy projects that tackled teacher shortages by focusing on:
- Teacher leadership funding;
- Data Collection; and
- Recruitment and retention of a diverse teaching force.
Teach Plus fellows meeting with U.S Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky (D-IL-09)